Roller shutter doors and high-speed doors are still the main players in the realm of industrial entrances, each boasting distinct features and advantages tailored to specific needs. But how do you know which application is best suited for your needs? We look at the key features and benefits of each product and provide you with plenty of information to make an informed decision.
Key Features of Roller Shutter Doors:
- Construction: Robust and durable, roller shutter doors comprise interlocking slats typically made of steel, aluminum, or polycarbonate. They roll up vertically to open and down to close.
- Speed: Relatively slower in operation compared to high-speed doors, they offer a more traditional, steady opening and closing mechanism. The average speed for a safe drive shutter is around 150mm – 200mm per second. We can also offer a fast acting motor which can average around 500mm per second
- Insulation: Often provide better insulation against elements due to the solid construction of the slats. On insulated shutters this can vary from 0.69 – 1.1 W/m2K (through the lath)
- Security: Known for their robustness, offering a high level of security due to the solid material and locking mechanisms. We can offer non insulated LPS 1175 SR1-4 level shutters
- Versatility: Suitable for various applications such as warehouses, factories, and storage units where security and durability are paramount.
- Cost-Effectiveness: Generally more cost-effective in terms of upfront investment and maintenance.
Best Applications for Roller Shutter Doors:
- Secure storage units
- Industrial warehouses
- Retail storefronts requiring overnight security
- Parking garages
Key Features of High-Speed Doors:
- Speed: As the name suggests, high-speed doors operate swiftly, opening and closing at a rapid pace, promoting traffic flow and minimising temperature fluctuations. Speeds can vary from 800mm – 2000mm per second.
- Energy Efficiency: Quick cycle times help in maintaining interior temperatures, conserving energy, and reducing heating or cooling loss.
- Safety Features: Equipped with sensors and safety measures to prevent collisions, making them safer for high-traffic areas.
- Customisation: Available in various designs, materials, and sizes to suit specific operational requirements.
- Environmental Control: Suitable for environments requiring stringent climate control or where maintaining a sterile environment is crucial, like food processing or pharmaceutical facilities.
Best Applications for High-Speed Doors:
- Food processing facilities
- Cold storage warehouses
- Cleanroom environments
- Logistics centres with high traffic flow
Weighing up the pro’s and con’s.
Roller shutter doors excel in robustness, security, and affordability, making them suitable for applications prioritizing durability and overnight security. On the other hand, high-speed doors shine in environments that require rapid access, energy efficiency, climate control, and enhanced safety features. Understanding the unique features and benefits of each door type allows industries to select the ideal solution aligned with their operational needs and priorities.